Sunday, January 3, 2010

Star Studded Theater: To Love, or not to love, that is the question?


It seems in the recent years you would have to try quite hard to see a Broadway show without a famous star in the headline.  I come from the old school thought, that theater performers should, oh I dunno, have their background rooted in theater.  Okay, so there are those stars that received formal theater training and make their return to the stage after a long hiatus on the big screen.  However, I have a hard time spending my entire life studying theater and bringing myself to see Sean P. Diddy on Broadway, the place where I aspire to be.  On what planet does that make sense?  On the other hand, these huge names bring funding to Broadway and keep the arts alive; maybe even get a non-theater goer, or theater virgin to see their first show.  So is it really such a horrible thing?  I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.  What are your feelings on the matter?  Keep the stars coming, or stay in your own constellation far, far away?

Read more here from the New York Times.
(photo NYT

No comments:

Post a Comment