Friday, November 20, 2009

Theater

Do you ever laugh at people's misfortunes, or something horribly grave, and then go, "oh, god, why am I laughing??"  That is precisely how I felt during Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking on Broadway.  Yet again, I took advantage of the Hiptix offer and took my bud Bjorn for a night of theater.  Carrie Fisher, stars in this one woman play, and basically re-accounts most of her life, which includes screwed up parental relationships, alcohol and drug addiction, her battle with bi- polar disorder, and the tragic death of a close friend (while sleeping next to him!)  I know, it doesn't sound like much of a comedy, but Bjorn and I found ourselves laughing for most the play, right along with the rest of the audience.  Who knew a one woman play could be so entertaining?  Or misfortune, for that matter.  I felt as though I truly was just sitting around having a conversation with Carrie Fisher, as she sat on a couch with a blanket in her nightgown.  She even calls upon the audience to participate, by answering questions from those in the orchestra seating or quizzing them on elements of the show.  What fun shows have you seen recently?? 

(photo playbill)

No comments:

Post a Comment